Tuesday 10 July 2012

On A Serious Note...

Ephesians 3:20

"Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think according to the power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus, throughout all generations, for ever and ever, Amen."

Since taking this job and watching Mu grow at the rate she does, I am drawn to thinking not only about life P.M. (Post Mu) but more increasingly about life B.M. And not as you might expect - in longing for a lie in, or not to have my ribbon mane chewed beyond any kind of style - but with the hindsight of seeing what God has done already. Although Mu will never really know it, most of us in this family had a life before we were who she see's us as. Mam was someone before she was Mam - she even had a name - Dad was someone before he was dad - and I believe people thought him cool - I was king of a fictional universe, revered by many, feared by all, and yet to Mu we will never be those people/lions, we will be who we are now always in her mind.

In many ways this is right and good and a testimony to our adaptability, slotting freely into these new roles. However there is a small part of me that wants her to see a little of who we were, not because our egos need a bit of T.L.C. now that we spend our days covered in sick and poo and having our heads mashed into banana repeatedly - but because God has done so much for us already.

I look at this verse and can hold up my paw and say He has done more than I could ask or think, I was once a very different lion, with a very different life, going a very different way. And for all my story telling of those good-old, bad-old days, I can't seem to do God's job on me justice. Seemingly I am doomed to only give Mu a poor, washed out picture of all that He has done, and therefore can do. How can I teach her about what it's like to know God, when I can only use cliches, poor metaphors and ramblings about when I was a cub?

I guess it's a good thing that He hasn't finished His job yet...

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on until completion at the day of Christ Jesus"
Philippians  1:6




No comments:

Post a Comment